This Salad is really a nice way to use the remaining zucchini and tomatoes from your garden or from your end of summer season organic farm box. The creamy sauce which is kind of like a dressing has a light nutty, creamy and buttery flavor which makes it a little bit naughty but there is still enough healthful elements in the dish to make it a “salad” officially.
You can serve the salad like a parfait in individual glasses (as I originally saw the recipe) or you can do it in a large clear decorative glass bowl with the sauce on top. Or just eat it right out of the mixing bowl like I did the first time I made it.
Table of Contents
Tomato and Zucchini Salad with Mascarpone Cream sauce Recipe
- 2 zucchini into small bits
- 2 tomatoes
- To taste for topping basil, dill, parsley, and oregano
- 2 lemon
- 1 pinch cumin
- 4 eggs
- to taste salt
- 1/2 cup Cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano OR parmesan)
- Chop up your zucchini into small bits – I slice it lengthwise, then into julienned strips – then into tiny little cubes. Cut your tiny tomatoes in half and your larger tomatoes into small pieces – get rid of the stems. Incorporate everything into the mixing bowl.
- Then chop up your herbs – basil, dill, parsley, and oregano and slice your fresh lemon for extracting the juice. I like to use my Henckels Chef’s knife for chopping vegetables and pretty much everything else in my kitchen, just keep them sharpened!
- Include the herbs with the mix in the bowl and squeeze a hearty tablespoon of fresh lemon juice over everything and mix together.
- Add 1 pinch of cumin and a dash of salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Next we make the cream sauce. Get out two bowls and place them side by side – I like to use my copper bowls because they are easy to use for mixing and beating egg whites. I also have my lovely superb whisk, which is fast and efficient so I can beat the egg whites before my arm falls off.
- To one bowl – add two egg whites and a dash of salt. Whisk until soft peaks form.
- To the other – add the two egg yolks, 1/2 cup of softened mascarpone cheese, and 1/2 cup of finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano OR parmesan. Mix together until smooth then fold in the egg whites.
- Add your salad mix to the bowls or parfait glasses, top with the cheese sauce and garnish with basil. Chill for an hour at least – up to 4 hours and enjoy your delicious salad!