This is an easy sauce that can be used for Dressing Grilled Scallops, Shrimp, fried calamari, Lobster or any other rich white fish or shellfish. I have seen it used on a crab sandwich as well as a lobster roll in place of mayo.
I used it recently as a the accompaniment for the saffron, shrimp and chorizo fideo cakes recipe.
However you choose to use it, it is great to know how to make an aoli from scratch and once you have down the basics, you can change the flavors to more closely fit the ingredients you are featuring in your dish. Some examples of other flavors used commonly: garlic aioli, chipotle aioli, red pepper aioli, etc.
Orange Saffron Aioli Recipe
- 2 large egg yolks
- 6 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1/8 tsp saffron threads
- 1 tbsp finely grated orange peel
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Whisk yolks, 4 tbsp of orange juice and saffron in a medium metal bowl. Set the bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water (do not let the bowl touch the water). You can also use a double boiler instead if you have one. Whisk constantly until thickened and the thermometer registers 160 F, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor (we love our cuisine) and add orange peel and garlic. With the machine running, gradually add oil in a thin stream until incorporated. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and whisk in lemon juice and 2 tbsp orange juice. Season with salt and pepper. Can be made 1 day ahead of time. Cover and chill.