For those who appreciate the sweet and the savory sides of dessert, this orange custard is a terrific light solution to ending a lovely meal.
Table of Contents
Orange Custard Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cup milk
- 2 Grated oranges zest
- 5 large eggs
- pinch eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine ¾ cup of the sugar and the water in a small, heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, brush down the sides of the pan with water, and boil for 6 to 7 minutes, or until caramelized. The sugar will be fragrant and has a deep amber color when it is caramelized. Working quickly, divide the hot caramel among 10 ramekins, swirling each ramekin so that the caramel coats the bottom and halfway up the sides.
- Preheat the oven to 325˚F Combine the milk and orange zest in a small saucepan and heat to a simmer. Whisk together the eggs, salt, and remaining ¾ cup of sugar in a medium bowl. Continue whisking while adding the hot milk to a thin stream. Strain through a fine mesh sieve. Stir in the vanilla and skim off any foam from the surface.
- Divide the mixture among the ramekins and place them into a roasting pan. Add enough hot water to the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins and bake for 38 to 42 minutes, or until just set. Remove from the water bath and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, or until firm.
- To unmold, run the tip of a paring knife around the inside of each ramekin and invert it onto a dessert plate.