This is a simple and hearty soup I have made before but felt it needed a little kick – so I dressed it up with a bit of homemade Jalepeno oil and some red pepper.
Lentil soup with Jalapeno oil Recipe
Despite being small and modest on their own, lentils in large quantities carry a robust and earthy punch. The naturally earthy flavor of the red lentil is enhanced by the addition of little flames and unique spice in this soup.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin Olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup small lentils rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 finely diced shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- to taste sea salt and black pepper
- In Large Saucepan heat oil over medium heat, add onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and shallot and cook for 5 minutes until tender.
- Add lentils, stir to combine, and add broth and 1 cup of water, and cumin. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to gently simmer for 40 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- In a blender, carefully puree the lentil mixture then strain through a fine strainer, mashing the remaining solids through the strainer with a spoon or spatula. Return lentil soup to pot and heat to warm through.