This is a recipe so freaking easy and delicious I can’t believe I never made it before. If you are like me, and occasionally like to skip the starchy stuff and eat more vegetables, and yet you are addicted to comfort food – this is a perfect recipe to trick your mind and body. HA!
Instead of mashing potatoes, you can make this mashed cauliflower recipe using chicken broth and some basic spices and you will not believe how satisfying it is. Even big old traditional beefy men will find it appealing.
You can add cheese also for that added toothsome appeal, or dress it up with different spices such as curry, saffron, thyme, sage, chipotle, sriracha, etc. (but not all at the same time…)
Hot Buttered Cauliflower & Broth Puree Recipe
- 2 lb heads of cauliflower cored and cut into 2-inch florets
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 cup butter ( I didn’t say it was completely without fat)
- According to your need cheese (if you wish to add cheese, you can try a different variety every time you make it)
- to taste salt & pepper
- to taste cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the cauliflower until tender about 5-7 minutes. Remove and drain well. Spread on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 5 minutes to dry out.
- In a saucepan, combine chicken broth, red pepper, or cayenne, cream, and butter. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Pure cauliflower in a food processor or in a bowl with a hand mixer. (I used a standard hand-held metal potato masher the first time and it worked fine too, just a bit more work). Add broth mixture to cauliflower and puree further until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!