Oh man, I REALLY loved this recipe last night and it hit the spot with our cold rainy weather. It’s a comforting and creamy texture without the addition of cream. It has just enough spice from the chorizo that it fires up your tastebuds. I also enjoy the addition of kale for the health factor, texture and crunch, but you can leave it out if you’re not a fan and you’ve still got a great soup. Or you can serve the kale in a salad on the side.
Hearty Potato, Chorizo, and Kale Soup recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 lbs Peeled potatoes
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 white or yellow onion
- 12 oz cooked chorizo sausage
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb raw kale chopped
- to taste salt and pepper
- For servings croutons or fresh bread
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot. Add onions and saute until soft. Add chopped chorizo and potatoes and stir to coat with oil. Add 1 tsp salt and smoked paprika.
- Incorporate chicken broth and stir to get spices evenly distributed, you will see the oil from the chorizo floating on the broth.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and let it cook for 30-40 minutes until potatoes are softened. Mash with a handheld masher or immersion blender – leave some small chunks though.
- Add kale and stir until wilted. Salt to taste.
- Ladle into bowls, top with croutons, and add a few drops of jalapeno or habanero oil.