This is a great way to use French or sourdough or ciabatta that has gotten a little stale, and add some flavor and crunchiness to your soups.
Gremolata Recipe for Soup Garnish
Gremolata may sound fancy, but it is very straightforward. It is an Italian condiment made of minced parsley, lemon zest, and garlic. Gremolata is a quick and simple way to add flavor to practically any dish because of its zesty, vibrant, and fresh mix.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 zest of lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- a fistful parsley chiffonade
- to taste salt
- 1 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 to 3 cups bread
- Cut into slices and drop 2-3 cups worth of bread into your Cuisinart with 2 garlic cloves, 2 tsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of salt. Grind until small – medium-sized crumbs.
- Spread across a sheet pan and zest 1 lemon over the top of the crumbs.
- Heat oven to 325 – add sheet pan and toast crumbs for 10 minutes (before they get dark).
- remove and mix in parsley and parmesan to bread crumbs. Sprinkle on top of your soup.
For up to a week, keep in the refrigerator in a sealed jar.