This Recipe was contributed by our brother in law Jens from Germany while he was visiting over the Christmas Holiday. We had received a giant daikon radish in our Abundant Harvest organic vegetable delivery and didn’t know quite what to do with it. Jens found this recipe online and adapted it to make a vegetarian version with vegetable stock and without the meat.
It can also be made with a pork or beef stock however, which is what the recipe below reflects. It is also quite delicious and savory. This soup – in both versions – was the biggest surprise to me, rich, succulent and filling and the flavors married so well despite my preconceived notions of how it would taste. Thanks to this recipe, I am now even more open minded to experimenting with unusual ingredients!
Delicious Date and Radish Soup Recipe
- 12 oz pork ribs
- 6 oz slab bacon whole
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms reconstituted. Save the water that rehydrated the mushrooms and add it to the broth.
- 1 large white daikon radish cut into large chunks or sliced
- 8 red date we used Medjool dates
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 cup chicken broth
- Heat oven to 350. On a sheet pan, spread out pork ribs and sprinkle with olive oil. Allow baking for 20 minutes until lightly browned. Pour any juice from the pan into a cup and add to broth (in the next step).
- Bring chicken or beef broth to boil in a clean pot. Add the meat, the slab bacon, and the rest of the ingredients and bring them back to a boil. Then reduce heat to simmer for 2 to 3 hours or till soup is reduced to 1 1/2 bowls water.
- Pour broth into a bowl, reserving the bones and bacon. Scrape any remaining meat from the bones into a bowl. Cut up the slab bacon into small chunks. Add all the meat back into the soup.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro. Unique and wonderful flavors.