Do you ever get bored eating chicken the SAME OLD WAY all the time? I sure do. We like to eat chicken because it is healthy for you as it is lower in fat. It is also less expensive than other meats for the most part, so we have a freezer that is usually sporting some cut of chicken in addition to all the chicken broth we keep around.
This is a nice, simple and tasty classic recipe that I found in Food and Wine magazine and adapted for our own use at home. Try it out, its sure to become a staple, and the more comfortable you get, the more you can adapt it using other flavor elements such as the veal stock option, adding mushrooms or other vegetables, or even other seasonings.
Table of Contents
Chicken with Vinegar Sauce Recipe
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 pound chicken
- According to taste Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablesapoons unsalted butter
- 12 cloves garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 1 cup sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the skillet, and cook over moderately high heat until browned. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter to the skillet and swirl to coat the chicken. Turn the chicken skin side up and add the garlic and bay leaf.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake the chicken for 8 minutes, until the breast pieces are just white throughout. Transfer the breast pieces to a plate. Add the vinegar to the skillet, return to the oven and bake the remaining chicken, basting a few times, until cooked through, 15 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken and garlic to the plate.
- Add the chicken stock and mushrooms to the skillet and boil, scraping up the browned bits, until reduced to 1 1/4 cups, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the crème fraîche and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Return the chicken to the skillet along with any accumulated juices. Simmer over moderately high heat, basting a few times, until the sauce thickens slightly and the chicken is heated through about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.