I sort of stumbled upon this recipe once when I had fresh cherries and wanted to make a topping to go with my chicken liver mousse… its VERY tasty and the pepper adds a nice unexpected spice and depth to it. It also goes well with dark chocolate mousse.
Table of Contents
Cherry Cinnamon Chipotle Jam Recipe
- 2 lbs cherries with pits removed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 tbsp chipotle pepper (crushed or powdered)
- 2 juice and zest of lemons
- half lb white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 packet flavorless gelatin or pectin
- Put two saucers in the freezer…trust me, you’ll need em.
- Roughly chop about a third of the cherries. Put into a large pan with the cinnamon sticks broken in half, chipotle pepper, lemon zest and juice, and 3/4 cup water. Bring gently to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins, stirring occasionally, until cherries are softened
- Add the sugar and molasses, stir until dissolved, then increase the heat and boil hard for 4-5 mins until the conserve is softly set.
- To test this, take a saucer from the freezer and spoon a little jam onto it. Push your finger through the jam; if it wrinkles on the surface it is ready. If not, reboil for a few mins more, then test again. Spoon into small clean warm jars, seal, and label. Once open, keep it in the fridge.