Great standard sauce to learn. We use it to make a variety of dishes – Moussaka, Boureki, Lasagna, Pastas, etc.
Bechamel Sauce Recipe
The only three components needed to make bechamel sauce (also known as besciamella) are milk, flour, and butter. Because numerous sauces, including the slightly richer Mornay Sauce, are prepared using Béchamel as a base, it is also referred to as White Sauce or Mother Sauce.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated nutmeg
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted.
- Add the flour and stir until smooth. Over medium heat, cook until the mixture turns a light, golden sandy color, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a separate pan until just about to boil.
- Add the hot milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat. Season with salt and nutmeg, and set aside until ready to use.
2 thoughts on “Bechamel Sauce Recipe”
This recipe was delicious when I made it. The recipe was very simple to follow and I will definitely use it again.
The absolute best traditional recipe. one that keeps life and is incredibly flexible.