Great standard sauce to learn. We use it to make a variety of dishes – Moussaka, Boureki, Lasagna, Pastas, etc.
Bechamel Sauce Recipe
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated nutmeg
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted.
- Add the flour and stir until smooth. Over medium heat, cook until the mixture turns a light, golden sandy color, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a separate pan until just about to boil.
- Add the hot milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat. Season with salt and nutmeg, and set aside until ready to use.